Syntax for Internet Hostnames

Lawrence Chan webmaster at montevino.com
Mon Dec 27 10:16:59 UTC 1999

Hello,

On the issue of legal characters for host names, would the underscore '_' be
properly used in a domain name like ex_ample.com?  I can understand that some
operating systems might have problem when encountering hostnames with
underscores.  But would it be OK just for the domain name portion?  Or should the
hostname rule be applicable to all the labels in a name?  Internic seems to treat
underscore as a legal character as far as they are concerned.  Please advice.

Lawrence Chan
lchan at montevino.com