Help a newbie with BIND please?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Dec 27 03:21:43 UTC 1999

In article <386037BB.7F887ED0 at 741systems.com>,
Daryl Lozupone  <dlozupone at 741systems.com> wrote:
>I am trying to set up a caching-only nameserver. My machine is
>assigned
>a DNS entry in the master servers for my domain (i.e. my Web Hosting
>Provider). I am confused by the following entry in
>/var/log/messages:
>
>Dec 21 20:13:52 antares named[12776]: ns_forw:
>query(mail.741systems.com) contains our address
>(antares.localhost.com:192.168.1.1)
>
>Can anyone please help explain the above message?

Your machine's address is 192.168.1.1.  When it was trying to look up
mail.741systems.com, it encountered an NS record that said that
antares.localhost.com is the nameserver for that domain, and when it looked
up antares.localhost.com it found that its address is 192.168.1.1.  But
your machine is obviously not the nameserver for that domain, because your
machine is a caching-only server.  So either the NS record that delegates
to antares.localhost.com is wrong, or the A record for
antares.localhost.com is wrong.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com