nslookup

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Dec 24 00:17:05 UTC 1999

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 04:21:01PM -0500, Adrian Griffis wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> When I use nslookup to lookup up my domain, the result is double domain and
> no ip address
>
> i.e.
> > nslookup my.domain.com
>
> >ns.my.domain.com
> >xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> >my.domain.com.my.domain.com
>
> Is there something I'm missing?

I'm not sure how you got that particular response out of 'nslookup'.
But somewhere in your zone file, and possibly in several places, you
have "my.domain.com" instead of "my.domain.com." - without the trailing
period.  You've done something else, to make the above come out.  You
need to have the following:

@		IN A		w.x.y.z

or, if it is right after the SOA and NS records, just:

		IN A		w.x.y.z

where w.x.y.z is the IP address.

If you had included the real domain name and addresses, I might have
been able to tell you more.

> Newbie question: How do you restart named without restart the whole server?

Somewhat system-dependent.  'ndc restart' is supposed to always work.
On some systems, it is better [because of other things done] to run
'/sbin/init.d/named restart', or '/etc/init.d/named restart', or
'/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart', or ... you get the picture.

Or you can just 'kill `/etc/named.pid`' [it might be /var/run/named.pid]
and then '/usr/sbin/named'.  All path names are system-dependent.  This
is sort of last-resort.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B