bind-8.2.2-P5 keeps loading primary zones unnecessarily

Mark.Andrews at iengines.com Mark.Andrews at iengines.com
Thu Dec 23 05:34:19 UTC 1999

> Hello all
>
> I have a bind-8.2.2-P5 running chroot to some dir.   All seems to
> work fine except for one primary zone that keeps being loaded
> unnecessarily.
>
> I've got about 900 messages like these only for today :
>
> 22-Dec-1999 20:42:25.531 master zone "XXXXXXXX" (IN) loaded (serial 199912220
> 1)
>
> The zone's serial number is unchanged on all loads, and secondary name
> servers are being notified.  Every thing seems to be ok on the zone
> itsef (it's a little big though : 1MB).
>
> The following messages appear in all such loads :
>
>   Zone "XXXX" (file primary/XX.): No default TTL set using SOA minimum instea
>   master zone "XX" (IN) loaded (serial 1999122201)
>   suppressing duplicate notify ("XX" IN SOA)
>
> Sometimes there's more than one load in the same second!  Can someone
> remotely induce bind to load a primary zone ?  If so, something is
> bound to appear on the logs...
>
> I had no such problem with the same file, same machine and OS, on a bind-8.1.
> 2.
>
> Any ideas ?
> Any debugging hints ?

	Extract all the named related messages and put them in a file.
	Then delete the "No default TTL", "duplicate notify" and
	'master zone "XX"' messages and see what is left.

	The "No default TTL" is because 8.2 onwards supports RFC 2308
	and the use of the minimum field has changed.  Add "$TTL <value>"
	to the start of your master zone files.

	The "duplicate notify" are a direct result of the zone being
	reloaded rapidly so they are not signicicant in getting to the
	underlying cause.

	I suspect something else will have been logged just prior to the
	first of these unexpected loads.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at iengines.com