Reverse for a /23

glen herrmannsfeldt gah at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 22 23:36:44 UTC 1999

Stephen Amadei <amadei at dandy.net> writes:

(snip about RFC2317)

>O.K... I had heard RFC2317 was for doing reverse breaking _any_ of the
>octets... not just the last one.

>Then what would be done, for say a /17 reverse?  Create 32768 reverse
>files?

No, 128 files with 256 entries each.

For a /9 you would need 32768 files, though with that many hosts
you might delegate some of them.

Actually, the RFC2317 method was not originally for subnetting, it was
when I had a few addresses on the campus backbone and wanted to be able
to do the reverse for them.  It works for any case of delegating less
than an entire /24, as was said, down to /32 (one host).

-- glen