DNS configuration error

Thomas Langås tlan at online.no
Tue Dec 21 23:25:16 UTC 1999

Barry Margolin wrote:

> No, the DNS requests don't come to your box unless you configure delegation
> records that say so.  If you want to delegate, you need to add:
>
> <subdomain> IN NS domain.com.
>
> Then lookups for <subdomain>.domain.com or
> <anything>.<subdomain>.domain.com will be referred to your box.
>
> There's no way to set up an NS record that works for *all* subdomains --
> you have to delegate each one separately.

Ok, I see, now I know why things doesn't work as they was supposed to :)

> A better solution might be to have the GraniteCanyon.com servers configured
> as secondary servers for the entire domain.com domain, with your server as
> the primary.  You can make updates on your server, and they'll be
> transferred to the registered servers automatically.  If your box's address
> changes, all you need to update is the secondary DNS configuration on
> granitecanyon.com.

Ok, then all I have to do is make changes at Internic and set my machine as primary,
and granitecanyon.com as secondary?  (and of course do some changes at
granitecanyon.com)

Can I use this zone-file (on my new-to-be-primary DNS) as it is then:

@       IN      SOA     domain.com. root.domain.com. (
                        199912122       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                        8H              ; refresh, seconds
                        2H              ; retry, seconds
                        1W              ; expire, seconds
                        1D )            ; minimum, seconds
                NS      domain.com.
                MX      10 domain.com.  ; Primary Mail Exchanger
                TXT     "domain dot COM"

domain.com.   IN   A  1.1.1.1
localhost       A       127.0.0.1
firefly         A       1.1.1.1

www             CNAME   domain.com.
ftp             CNAME   domain.com.
mail            CNAME   domain.com.

-zone-stop-

Or do I have to add more?

and, how do I tell to the secondary NS how often it should update?

--Thomas