named blocked by zone-transfers

Mohammed Ghanawi mohammed.ghanawi at hct.ac.ae
Tue Dec 21 06:55:28 UTC 1999

Hello Andreas

I am so relieved that someone has tracked this, I have installed Bind
8.2.2-p5 on Solaris 2.6 and I am having similar problems.

How do you stop syslog-forwarding from the secondary (My seconday is
running bind 4.9.4-p1) ? OR
Disable TCP-SYN ?

Thanks ...

Andreas Holzhammer wrote:

> Solved (sort of):
>
> Unfortunately the "hang" lasted about two hours. I tracked it
> down to an interaction of named, syslogd and Linux TCP-SYN cookies.
>
> The slaves send their syslog to the master-server as well. Now
> when they got the notifies, a lot of syslog-messages were generated,
> which would make the master-server think of being attacked :-(
> Either stoping syslogd on the master, disabling syslog-forwarding
> from the slave to the master, or disabling TCP-SYN cookies
> cured the disease.
>
> I still am not sure about the exact interaction here, but at
> least the immediate problem is solved.
>
> >         There is a known problem where named stops answering while
> >         sending out an initial notifies if the original loading
> >         takes to long.  This is addressed in an upcoming patch.
> >         There could be some additional dead time as named processes
> >         queued (in kernel) udp messages.
> >
> > > I just had to rebuild our master-nameserver from the tapes...
> > > fortunately they were good ;-)
> > >
> > > Unfortunately we had some work to get named up and running
> > > again. It looks like the named-process (bind 8.2.2pl5) on
> > > the master was blocked after sending out notifies for all
> > > its approx. 300 master-zones to our two secondaries.
> > > The slaves are also running bind 8.2.2pl5.
> > >
> > > the master-nameserver would not resolve any queries, and
> > > when I looked at the slave-servers I found two named-xfer
> > > processes, which would try to transfer the zones for about
> > > one minute.
> > >
> > > I wonder why the transfers would take so long, as our zones
> > > are very short (< 10 records each), and I have enabled
> > > transfer-format many-answers.
> > >
> > > To me it looks like the named-xfer processes just time-out
> > > and don't get an answer. I disabled notifies on the master,
> > > and all was up and running fine again, but for obvious
> > > reasons I would like to enable notifies back again.
> > >
> > > Any ideas what had happened here, and how to work arround
> > > that?
> > >
> > > The machines are all Linux based, if that matters.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: mohammed.ghanawi.vcf
-- Desc: Card for Mohammed Ghanawi