Named.conf on slave servers

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Dec 16 19:21:53 UTC 1999

    Alex> I am going to run Bind8 on 5 servers.  One server will be a
    Alex> Master and the other 4 will be Slaves.  I wanted to know if
    Alex> there is a simple way to set this up so that I don't have to
    Alex> update my named.conf files on all the Slave servers
    Alex> everytime I add a new domain.

No. If named.conf isn't changed named.conf when there's a new name
server configuration how can the servers be expected to see those
changes? What you need to do is write a script to generate named.conf
files, remote copy the files to the slave servers and then "ndc
reconfig" them. You can make this job easier on yourself if all the
slave servers have the same named.conf. ie none of them have to
contain options or features that are host- or OS-specific.

    Alex> Also is there a way to lock a
    Alex> db when it is being changed and is there a way to log all
    Alex> changes to the db's.

It depends what you mean by lock. If the zones files are managed by
hand, use a version control system like SCCS or CVS or RCS. This will
give you an audit trail of who changed what and when they did it. It
also provides a way of preventing two or more people trying to update
the zone file at once. If you're talking about file locking for the
syncronisation of dynamic DNS updates, the master name server takes
care of that itself.