ctl_server: bind: Address already in use

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Dec 16 16:15:18 UTC 1999

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 02:55:44PM +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 02:45:05PM +0100, Martin Tr?ka wrote:
> > i can see this message in /var/log/messages when i run bind (8.2, linux
> > kernel 2.2.5-15) as a non-privileged user (f.e. named).
> >
> > ctl_server: bind: Address already in use
> >
> > What does it mean ?
>
> That means that the port bind tries to bind to is already in use (by another
> bind?). Can a non-privileged user bind a privileged port?

The port to which it refers is the 'ndc' control port, not the primary
BIND port.  If you are using a Unix domain socket on a system which
creates FIFO files or the like for this purpose, the user must have
write permission in that directory.  E.g., this is often /etc/named, and
one may hope that random users do not have write permission in /etc.
;-)

Actually, if you are running an "old" [how quickly that happens!] 8.2,
it is also possible that 'bind' is running against an old FIFO that it
had not cleaned up.  I don't remember whether that was a problem under
Linux.  Upgrade to 8.2.2-P5, anyway.

Alternately, of course, you are trying to run a second copy of 'named'
using the same 'ndc' control port.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B