Bind 8.2.2-P5 Mystery - HELP

Mohammed Ghanawi mohammed.ghanawi at hct.ac.ae
Wed Dec 15 19:39:23 UTC 1999

More info ...

The secondary logs the following as an error message:
zoneref: Masters for secondary zone "hct.ac.ae" unreachable

the zone is partiaslly transfered I get a file called db.hct.00312 (which is
no the complete zone)

domain: hct.ac.ae
The primary is 194.170.32.5 Running Bind 8.2.2-p5
The secondary is 194.170.32.11 Running Bind 4.9.4-p1

The main zone file db.hct.ac.ae is the forward lookup zone it quite large,
and is failing to transfer to secondary.
Other zones are all reverse lookup and they are transfer OK.

Although all the reverse lookup zones transfer with no problem, only the
hct.ac.ae zone fails. The zone file on the primary is quite big (9000
lines). If I reduce this down to a couple of hundred lines the secondary
does not fail (But this is not a solution). The secondary starts the
transfer but fails when the file size transfered reaches 64K.

The primary does not have any error messages (I have turned on debugging).

Relevent entries from named.conf on primary for that failing zone:

options {
#
# boot file for name server
#
        directory "/etc/named.db.new";
        transfer-format one-answer;
};

logging {
        category default { default_syslog; default_debug; };
        category panic { default_syslog; default_stderr; };
        category packet { default_debug; };
        category eventlib { default_debug; };
};

# type domain source host/file backup file
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.cache";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.local";
};

zone "hct.ac.ae" {
        type master;
        file "db.hct";
};

etc ...
Relevent entries from named.boot on secondary for that failing zone:
;
;    boot file for name server
;

directory       /etc/named.db
cache   .       root.cache

; type         domain                                   source
host/file          backup file
primary      0.0.127.in-addr.arpa              db.local
secondary  hct.ac.ae                                194.170.32.5
db.hct
secondary  32.170.194.in-addr.arpa        194.170.32.5
db.194.170.32

etc ...