Unapproved AXFR?

Olmy olmy at thistledown.org
Tue Dec 14 19:31:56 UTC 1999

> It becomes a (possibly serious) concern for a period of time (which
> can be quite enough to cause bad trouble - agreed!), if I move my
> server to a new addres, so that their server doesn't pick up the zone
> any more. It will continue to be a problem until the expiration timer
> kicks in, and their server stops serving that zone, and "badness" will
> trickle off. Of course it's _really_ bad if the if their slave server
> doesn't honour the expiration timer for some reason ... :-(

I realized, after I sent my email, that I hadn't given adequate
consideration to the refresh timer. However, I had anticipated
consideration of the expire timer. Considering that RFC 1537
recommends a 30 day expire timer, that may be too long of a period to
be comfortable with bad info being given out ...

> especially if you're running zones on which serious business depends.

and there's the rub. ;-)

jeff