Weird DNS resolution problems

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Dec 14 19:03:09 UTC 1999

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 04:29:53PM -0500, Richard Barnes -Listserv wrote:
> I work for an ISP.  We have a customer who can ping any IP address in the
> world he wants, however when it comes to resolving names, it appears that
> the only names he can resolve are:
>
> shop.com -> 207.153.203.136
> yahoo.com -> 204.71.200.67
>
> we've tried everything else (including our domain name - blazenet.net) and
> nothing.  It just happened to run across the shop.com name, and yahoo.com is
> one that I'm sure everyone tries to ping when testing connectivity.  We've
> checked for the presence of a hosts file on this machine (Win98SE), and
> didn't find one
>
> to further heighten the mystery, this customer can NOT web surf via IP
> (www.blazenet.net -> 24.104.2.5).  If he types the blazenet address in his
> browser, he gets nothing.
>
> We're sure the system (an IBM Aptiva) is setup correctly because one of our
> techs was actually at this guy's house installing the cable modem when we
> discovered this problem.  We have no other reports of trouble from anyone in
> the same cable modem node.
>
> any suggestions?  the next thing we want to try is to take a laptop out and
> see if it experiences the same problems, but it will be a couple of days
> before we can get back out there... Even if the laptop functions properly,
> I'm still not sure what it means.

OK, this really sounds like a PC configuration question.  I don't know
much about PCs under MSW.  However, under the Network Neighbourhood's
properties, you should be able to find the TCP/IP service to the Network
Interface Card [NIC], and under its properties, the DNS server IP
addresses.  They are probably either not set or wrong.  And the two
hosts which he can resolve are probably in his hosts file, wherever on
MSW that might be.

The Web stuff is totally non-DNS.  Check that his proxies are correct.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B