Unapproved AXFR?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Dec 14 16:34:50 UTC 1999

   From: Bill Manning <bmanning at ISI.EDU>
   Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:25:37 -0800 (PST)

   %    seen an answer to my question: is there a _technical_ reason to limit
   %    zone transfers (except for server overload)?
   %
   % If you name machines after users, projects, etc. then zone transfers can
   % divulge proprietary information.  Most companies have a policy that the
   % employee directory can't be distributed to outsiders; if the DNS database
   % is almost equivalent, it makes sense not to distribute it, either.

   That, like the two reasons I gave, is not a technical justification, its
   administrative/policy.

All computer security is.  It's a way to use technology to implement
policy.

By your logic, there's no technical reason to require passwords.  It's just
administrative/policy that unauthorized people aren't allowed to use the
computers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com