Unapproved AXFR?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Dec 14 16:13:39 UTC 1999

   Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:09:33 +0100
   From: Lars-Johan Liman <liman at sunet.se>

   The interesting thing with this discussion is that so far, I have not
   seen an answer to my question: is there a _technical_ reason to limit
   zone transfers (except for server overload)? You have all just given
   the reasons I already know and _feel_, but they don't talk to the
   logical part of my mind.

If you name machines after users, projects, etc. then zone transfers can
divulge proprietary information.  Most companies have a policy that the
employee directory can't be distributed to outsiders; if the DNS database
is almost equivalent, it makes sense not to distribute it, either.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com