ndc status error (8.2.2-P5)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 14 02:26:05 UTC 1999

jim at mpn.cp.philips.com wrote:

>     Steve> Hello all, When issuing a /usr/sbin/ndc status command I
>     Steve> get the message "server is not loading its configuration."
>     Steve> Does anyone know what exactly this means,
>
> It means exactly what it says. The name server is not configuring itself.
>
>     Steve> and if I should worry?
>
> Nope.

  The message could probably use some improvement. It almost sounds like the
server encountered some sort of horrible error on startup which made it
decide to not load its configuration, i.e. server is not GOING to load its
configuration (ever!). Perhaps "server is not currently loading its
configuration" or even "Configuration loading status: complete" might make
things a little clearer.

Bear in mind that a lot of actual or potential DNS admins don't speak
English as their native language, and last time I looked, it wasn't possible
to internationalize these messages either.

- Kevin