Secondary Transfers

jim at mpn.cp.philips.com jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Fri Dec 10 19:55:03 UTC 1999

    Gary> We have 2 servers setup. One is the primary and the other is
    Gary> a secondary.  They are both running bind 8.2. The named xfer
    Gary> is running however the files are getting changed when we it
    Gary> is created on the secondary server. This is what it looks like

    Gary>  43200 IN NS radon.carolina.net.
    Gary>  43200 IN A 208.170.147.16
    Gary>  43200 IN MX 5 nitrous.carolina.net.

    Gary> Why does it put the 43200 statement on every line?

Because that was the TTL value each resource record presumably got
assigned (or inherited by default) on the master server. Remember that
the zone file on the slave server is not a byte-for-byte copy of the
original zone file on the master server. The DNS contents of the two
files will be identical, because that's what a zone transfer does. It
fetches the zone's resource records, not the master server's zone
file.