(no subject)

news at bt.net news at bt.net
Fri Dec 10 21:38:31 UTC 1999

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dns.bind
Subject: stubs for in-addr.arpa, 8.2.2p5 problems
From: dentm at bt.net.nospam (Michael Dent)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:38:31 GMT

When configuring stubs for reverse delegation of /24, what do you put as NS
records in the parent /16 zone file?  do you put the names of the original
NS the zone was delegated to, or the name of the NS your delegating it off
to via stub?
or do you not put NS records in the /16 zone file?

I take it there are no disadvantages to using stub?  The server keeps a
copy of the NS information obtained in a zone file and that would be read
in on a restart of named. I've had to delegate off 70 /24 networks and I
used stubs. I was just wondering if it was better to use just NS entries in
the zone file.

Also does anybody else have problems with 8.2.2P5? I've got a caching only
nameserver which was getting slow in response or not even giving a
response. I did queries like 'host www.cisco.com ns1.xxx.xx' from the box
itself.
I killed named and restarted and it started giving response really quickly
and had no problems. I don't know how i can find out what is wrong.  I did
a truss on the pid when it was slow or not responding and it was doing
sendto() and recvfrom() and poll() quite a bit so it was doing something.
Testing systems which poll the server still say it is having problems. I've
had complaints about another server as well.
Over 100 days its had about 700 million UDP packets out and the same number
in, so its a busy server. Its a sparc running solaris 2.6.

Any help appreciated.

Michael Dent