zone "." {type hint; file "named.ca";}; not working

Richard richard.abraham at mnr.gov.on.ca
Fri Dec 10 17:05:52 UTC 1999

Hello:

I have a compaq tru64 Unix v5.0 machine acting as a slave DNS server.  The
local domains downloaded from the master seem to work fine.

The problem is I can't get lookups in domains above the local ones to work.
I understand the entry:

zone "." {
      type hint;
      file "named.ca";
};

is supposed to accomplish this.  I have verified that named.ca is in the
proper directory and contains the proper information.

I have a master DNS server machine running version 4.0d of Tru64 Unix.  It
has the entry:

cache           .                 named.ca

at the bottom of the file and works just fine.

Is there anything else I should be doing to resolve internet addresses with
the slave DNS server?

Thanks.

Richard