Bind for NT - ISDN call set up

Daves dave at aprilcottage.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 21:43:58 UTC 1999

Dear All,

I am running Bind 4.9.7 for Windows NT which I use with an ISDN router to
connect to the Net.

I have an issue whereby whenever the named service is started it issues a
query to a root name server, as below:
Std qry for . of type Auth. NS on class INET addr

The problem is that this brings the ISDN link up and therefore incurs
unnecessary call charges.  I can't think why the DNS server is issuing this
query.

If anybody has insight into the internal workings of BIND or if there is a
later version that I can run on my NT workstation then I would be very
grateful.

Best regards

Dave Morris
Dave at aprilcottage.demon.co.uk

For interest here is my boot file:
Named.Boot
Directory e:\\var\\named
check-names primary fail
check-names secondary warn
check-names response ignore
primary 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA 127.0.0.in-addr.arpa.dns
primary aprilcottage.demon.co.uk aprilcottage.demon.co.uk.dns
primary 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.dns
cache . cache.dns