not authoritive for - error

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Dec 10 15:12:33 UTC 1999

In article <80256843.00433C61.00 at qedilc01.qedi.quintiles.com>,
 <pwolfe at qred.quintiles.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Just a quick inquiry on an error I've just received from my /var/adm/messages
>file:
>
>named-xfer[117??]: [IP address of parent DNS] not authoritative for domain.name,
>SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 1 \
>aucount 0
>
>I'm running BIND 4.9.4 on Solaris 2.6.
>
>I am a subdomain to the domain.name I have in my messages file. I have made no
>changes to my configuration which has been working fine until today.
>
>Theory, has my parent re-configured their authority for domain.name and,
>therefore, I cannot zone transfer that file anymore??
>
>(I can't call my parent yet as they are still in bed, so I thought I'd ask!)

Assuming the parent DNS server is still supposed to be authoritative for
the domain, they've made a change to it and probably made a syntax error in
the new file.  When the server detects a syntax error, it logs a message
and makes itself non-authoritative, to prevent the faulty zone from
propagating to slave servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com