bind and forwarder

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Dec 10 15:06:53 UTC 1999

In article <385014F2.ABCAAD4 at cyris.de>, Stefan Cyris  <stefan at cyris.de> wrote:
>Hi
>
>I'm using the latest bind 8.2.2 on my linux box to set up my local DNS.
>I hav a dial-up connection so I use this:
>           forward first;
>           forwarders {
>                10.0.0.1;
>                10.1.0.1;
>            };
>
>but then I read that "forward first" first forwards the request and
>_then_ tries to resolv itself. But that's a big problem for me coz I use
>this DNS for my Intranet with auto-dial on. So it dials on every dns
>request even if I use my intranet name.
>
>Is there a opportunity that bind first looks at its own files and then
>tries to connect the forwarders ?

That's what happens.  The server never forwards requests for names in
domains that it's authoritative for.  The difference between "forward
first" and "forward only" has to do with whether the server will try
following NS records after trying the forwarders, if they don't respond.
Maybe it would be clearer if the option were "forward
and-then-try-normal-lookup" versus "forward and-then-give-up".

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com