Error msg buggin me

John Ryan jryan at cypresscom.net
Fri Dec 10 04:16:42 UTC 1999

See if your ISP will let you reverse your own numbers. They probably won't
if you're only paying for 1 IP, but if they gave you a /30 or something and
if they have compassion, they should delegate that subnet to your servers
using classless in-addr.arpa delegation. Take a look at RFC 2317. It's not
as cryptic as it sounds. If they only gave you one number then your only
recourse is to ask your provider if they'll resolve the address in their own
records to point to your host. I think that's what you're trying to
accomplish but I may be misunderstanding.

Jason Rotunno <rotunnoj at mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
news:82p3rv$2uk$1 at netnews.upenn.edu...
> I don't know a whole lot about DNS.  I setup a linux box and didn't want
> to pay for someone else to do it for my domain so I set it up myself
> using the Linux DNS How-To.  Everything seems to work fine aside from the
> fact that the reverse DNS doesn't work because, if my assumptions are
> correct, only the people to whom the IPs were assigned to can do it - my
ISP.