Who's attempting to use my name server?

sblee at tazmania.org sblee at tazmania.org
Thu Dec 9 05:31:37 UTC 1999

In multiple environments, I've seen situations where people will apply
for a domain name, and define name servers with Network
Solutions/'pick your favorite registrar' without notfying the name
server owner. Network Solutions usually notfies the contact for the
name server when this occurs, but, especially on a busy network, these
notifications tend to go unnoticed. I know that Network Solutions has
(or used to) someplace on their (increasing diffcult to navigate)
website a tool whereby you can request reports for NIC/Host handles.
They removed the option to generate these reports evey month, mostly
because it didn't work anyway.

So, my question:

	Is there a way, using dig, perl's Net::DNS modules, etc.. to
	generate a query of all domains that list our name server in
	the authority or additional section of the packet?

	I realizer that this can a time consuming task but it seems
	if NSI can generate the report (I assume it runs against the
	 root servers), we should be able to get this information
	 without  having to go to their website.

Any thoguhts?