BIND to MSDNS on same box

glen herrmannsfeldt gah at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 8 20:55:34 UTC 1999

"Jace D." <jaced at jaced.com> writes:

>I have an NT box with BIND V4.9.6 installed and running, providing DNS
>service for several live zones. I'd like to change over to MS DNS for
>administration purposes, and MS DNS is currently installed on the same
>machine, with no zones configured. Now, logic tells me that it'd be a less
>than brilliant idea to have both BIND and MSDNS running at the same time on
>the same box, particularly if each service had conflicting zone info for the
>same domain. I'm trying to determine the best approach to moving over from
>BIND to MSDNS on the same box. I'm thinking I should first (a) make sure
>MSDNS service is Stopped, and then (b) configure the necessary zones in
>MSDNS. Then, (c) I should stop the BIND service, and lastly Start MS
>Service. I'm I correct on this? Does BIND and MSDNS service use the same
>files?

You can't have more than one running on the same IP address/port
combination.  You could run two nameservers on different ports, or if
you have multiple (maybe secondary) IP addresses.  Some DNS servers
can be told which port to load from.  But I would only consider running
two different versions for testing until I changed over to the other.

-- glen