dns problem

Andy Harrison aharrison at NOSPAMtwmaine.com
Wed Dec 8 19:12:31 UTC 1999

Having a very very strange problem here.

I discovered this problem because we're having trouble with a customer's
domain which we've hosted it October.  Anyway, it was just set up for
mail initially, but now there's a web site ready and we're trying to
modify the dns record and it will *not* change.  We've tried this on
several domains and they aren't updating.

When looking at a particular domain, the zone file is correct.  I've
increased the serial number by a few orders of magnitude, just in case.
ndc reload zonename doesn't get it, ndc dumpdb, ndc stop/start, nothing
gets it.

In nslookup, doing ls -d shows all of the old information, old serial
number, old A records, etc.

And, when I go over to the secondary name server, wipe out the file for
the zone, reload the zone, then once it builds the zone file again and I
look at it, it's all the old information.

I've verified the named.conf is correct, pointing to the correct
directory, the records that I try to update all appear correct.  We're
hosting 800+ domains on this box, it's not like this is new to us.
There's no telltale errors in the log, nothing.

Just because I'm at such a total loss, I even recompiled bind to no
avail...

Machine info:
BSD/OS 4.0 i386
BIND version named 8.2.2-P5 Thu Nov 18 17:15:48 EST 1999

Anyone have any advice?

--
Andy Harrison
Time Warner Cable of Maine