Question about ipportfw and DNS

Henry Cheng hycheng at email.com
Mon Dec 6 23:26:44 UTC 1999

I want to run servers on my internal network to be able to serve web
pages and do SMTP.  I'm running RH5.2 and I patched the ipportfw to the
kernel.

This is my setup:

FQip       eth0     my.real.ip.address
Router    eth1     192.168.0.1
This box used to run a nameserver and Apache server and SMTP

2nd box
eth0 192.168.0.2
I want this box to serve web pages and SMTP Sendmail

My Questions:

1.  When I type ipportfw -A -tmy.real.ip.address/80 -R 192.168.0.2/80,
then try to Lynx to http://www.mydomain.com everything freezes? Nothing
happens?  Could not connect...etc.
I made sure I had ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0 applied
beforehand.

2.  What do I need to do to DNS and httpd on the 1st box
[router/firewall] before port-forwarding to 2nd box?  Can I use 1st box
to do DNS and 2nd box will know how to do HTTPD and SMTP via ipportfw?
Also, in httpd.conf, VirtualHost will point to 192.168 or my.real.ip?

3.  Resolv.conf   What should the search and nameserver(s) be pointed to
on the 2nd box?

I've tried many different setups and still can't get the 2nd box to
serve web pages through the router/firewall.  I couldn't find any
answers from Mr.DNS' website either.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction?  Thank you for any advice you may have!!

hycheng at email.com