BIND 8.2 Zone Transfers take forever

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Dec 3 18:16:47 UTC 1999

In article <3847F8A9.BF9F5A04 at yahoo.com>,
Marko Costa  <marko_costa at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a BIND 8.2 master name server and it seems to be working ok.
>Everybody's using it with no problems.
>
>Now I installed a BIND 8.2 slave name server and the zone transfers
>from the master take forever.

Are the named-xfer processes hanging around forever?

>Some zones take hours to transfer, some never get transferred and
>I get several zone files with the same name but different endings
>as if it were doing repeated attempts and failed.

Have you checked your log?  It sounds like the zone transfers are failing
for some reason, so named-xfer is leaving the temporary zone file around.

It's possible that named-xfer is hanging.  After 2 hours, named will kill a
named-xfer process that hasn't finished, and it will soon start another for
the same zone.

What version of BIND was the secondary running before you upgraded?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com