POLICY REDIRECTION

Ingo T. Storm bind at computerbild.de
Fri Dec 3 07:52:55 UTC 1999

Hi fooler,

>     i want to centralize and standardize all proxy settings in their
browser
> into proxy.abc.com,

I'd do that with an automated proxy configuration (pac) rather than with
DNS. There you could specify the proxy (or the order in which they are
queried) based on the clients IP Address.

Specs and samples are on

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/proxy/adminnt/autoconf.htm

The only caveats are:

a. You will have to add a mime type for the pac on your server.
(Instructions must be somewhere at Netscape, too - I can't find them right
now.

b. Edit and test these files carefully. Netscape Messenger and Internet
Explorer, but show different symptoms with lax syntax.

Next I woul look into complete automation for IE clienst. Keyword "wpad".
But that'd get us even further OT.

Cheers,
Ingo