.net vs .com?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 2 22:22:48 UTC 1999

timothy at erinet.com wrote:

> > Can I use a .net domain name for my own site or do I have to be part of a
> > network? I'am asking because the name I want is already registered under the
> > .com extension, but the .net is available. So would I be an=ble to use a ,et
> > domain name and run a site like any other .com site?
>
> That shouldn't be a problem.  Anyone with the necessary fee and already
> registered nameservers can register a domain under .com, .org, or .net

Of course, whether they morally *should* is a whole other question. If you
register a name in .org for your for-profit corporation, you may be depriving a
non-profit/charitable organization of a domain name, since .org is traditionally
where such organizations register and where many users expect their websites to
be found. Is this something you want to do casually? A lot of those
non-profit/charitable organizations do good work. I wouldn't want to make their
life difficult just because NSI told me, with dollar signs in their eyes, that
registering my domains in .org was the fashionable thing to do...

- Kevin