Primary & Secondary for subdomain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 2 00:04:56 UTC 1999

Kevin Quinn wrote:

> Would it make sense to have a primary for abc.com also act as a secondary
> for xyz.abc.com? The primary was required to set up a subdomain for an
> exteranl site. The external site wants to have a secondary for themselves.
> Would there be any issues if the primary also acted as a secondary for the
> subdomain?

  That should work just fine. In fact, we are doing exactly this same thing
(the master for cfc.com slaves for chrysler.com and vice versa).

There used to be a bug long ago where data from subzone secondary files could
be propagated in zone transfers of the parent zone and vice versa, thus
creating "immortal" records which would persist even after being removed from
the master, but this bug has been fixed for a long time.

- Kevin