Reverse mapping

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Dec 1 20:11:40 UTC 1999

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 01:13:23PM +0100, Patrik Astrom wrote:

> Cricket Liu <cricket at acmebw.com> wrote in message
> news:006701bf382b$d9d000e0$b577a8ce at boulder.acmebw.com...
> > > Is it possible to map a 10.x.x.x network in a one zone file. That is to
> > use
> > > only the first octet in named.conf. (10.in-addr.arpa) or
> > > (*.*:*.10.in-addr.arpa).
> >
> > Sure.  You'd create a zone data file for 10.in-addr.arpa and
> > tell the name server it's authoritative for that zone with:
> Well, that's what I've tried to do. But it just wont work. I guess I'd
> better look it  all over once more. A funny thing is that it resolves one
> entry of the 20 I have in the zone file.
> /Patrik

Make sure that all entries are in true reverse format.  And make sure
that all names end with "."s.  E.g.:

	If hoopla.happy.local maps to 10.198.40.17, then:

17.40.198	IN  PTR		hoopla.happy.local.

	If patrik.astrom.family maps to 10.42.111.86, then:

86.111.42	IN  PTR		patrik.astrom.family.

As Cricket illustrated, the $ORIGIN must be 10.in-addr.arpa. for the
above examples to work.  You can change $ORIGIN to some sub-domain of
the above, but it will STAY that way until changed.

Hope this might help.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B