Updates from Win2K

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Wed Dec 1 14:05:23 UTC 1999

We're doing some experiments here with a Win2K Active Directory DNS
server.  We have BIND 8.2.2p5 running on a Solaris system which very
happily runs as slave to the Win2K's master - notifies come through and
updates appear on the slave via IXFR or AXFR (haven't checked which).  If
we set things up in the opposite sense I can't get BIND to approve updates
from the Win2K server.

I've added 'allow-update w.x.y.z' to the configuration file for the zone
in question, where   w.x.y.z is the address of the Win2K system, I've also
tried w.x.y.a/b where that defines the subnet that the Win2K box on, but I
just get 'unapproved update' messages for the Win2K system's address.  Is
there some other option I have to set or is there some compile option we
have missed in BIND that would make this work?

I've missed out the exact zone and IP addresses because the configuration
isn't running at the moment and they wouldn't help you.

--
Sam Wilson
Network Services Division, Computing Services