Problems with search directive in resolv.conf

mmckinn5 at csc.com mmckinn5 at csc.com
Wed Dec 1 01:37:43 UTC 1999

Hello,

I've completed the build and install of BIND 8.2.2 on Solaris 2.6 without
incident.

During testing I realized the search directive in /etc/resolv.conf is not
functioning properly.  The resolv.conf looks similar to:

     nameserver <IP address>
     search <my_domain> <2nd domain> <3rd domain> <4th domain>

I am only searching 4 domains with the my_domain as the default, but nslookup
does not resolve a query in either the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th domain unless the query
is fully qualified. The <sub_domain>.zone.bak files reside on the server.
Nslookup resolves a query in the default domain just fine.

I've reviewed the User Groups' email archives for October and November without
success.

If anyone has information on possibly something I needed to do during the build
or install to resolve this problem, please contact me.

Thank you for your support,

Michael