Primary & Secondary DNS question

Mathias Koerber mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
Wed Dec 1 01:20:59 UTC 1999

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Boris wrote:

| Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:07:20 -0800
| From: Boris <nospam at sorry.com>
| To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.uu.net
| Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dns.bind
| Subject: Primary & Secondary DNS question
|
| We just got a T1 installed.
| We like to be able to manage our DNS but not having to worry about having it
| up 24/7.
| We were thinking on having our ISP DNS as secondary , pulling info from our
| primary DNS
| But registering our ISP DNS to internic as the one to use for our domain.
| This way if our DNS goes down, the only effect will be that our ISP won't be
| able to update anything until it goes back up, but everybody will still be
| able to resolve names.
| Is this correct?
| Is this the way to implement?

Yes, it's called a ' stealth primary' configuration, as yoru primary
is not listed in any NS records (delegation or in-zone).

Note that you should have two secondary nameservers still though, so you may have
to find another secondary to satisfy that requirement.

rgds

Mathias Koerber	  | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet NOC	  | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            mathias at koerber.org
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger mathias at singnet.com.sg
2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *