running w/ win2k as master and bind8 as slave (was win2k's dns)

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Aug 31 23:00:56 UTC 1999

> Is there anything about win2k's use of dynmaic updates that
> makes using a win2k primary and a BIND 8 slave Rude and/or Evil?

Not a BIND 8 slave, no.  W2K secures dynamic updates with a flavor of
Transaction Signatures, called GSS-TSIG, that BIND 8 name servers don't
support, but the dynamic updates should be sent to the primary master name
server if it's listed in the MNAME field.  (Does anyone know definitively if
W2K clients do that?)

> Is it reasonable to suspect that win2k's DNS use includes
> plenty o' dynamic updates that are for "internal" use only?

Some of the dynamic updates are in support of locating the services offered
by the Domain Controller.  Others are DHCP clients and servers adding
name-to-address and address-to-name mappings for DHCP clients.

> Assuming this is so, should using BIND 8 as a slave of a win2k
> DNS server be considered A Bad Thing?

I don't think so.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.