Q:sysquery: no addrs found, root nameserver problem

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Aug 31 20:47:26 UTC 1999

> I am running bind 8.2.1 on a host that is authoritative for our internal DNS records.   It has no connectivity to any root servers or
> the internet.  The root zone is "type hint" and the associated file lists some firewalls which can do public side DNS resolution (but
> they are not root nameservers.)  These firewalls are also the machines listed under forwarders under OPTIONS in the config file.  Everything is fine functionally (I can do both private and public DNS) However, bind keeps complaining in the log file:
>         sysquery: no addrs found for root NS()

Is your root zone "hints" file something like this?  You may not have
included the addresses?

.			99999999	IN  NS	fw1.your.domain.
fw1.your.domain.	99999999	IN  A	192.168.1.1

.			99999999	IN  NS	fw2.your.domain.
fw2.your.domain.	99999999	IN  A	192.168.2.1

$INCLUDE "root.cache"

I include the real root cache just to get rid of the initial error
messages that 8.2 produces ... the first thing 'named' will do is try
to get the list of "real" root servers from the alleged root server(s).

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B