Distributing DNS servers

Barrett Richardson barrett at phoenix.aye.net
Mon Aug 30 23:48:44 UTC 1999

> likely that named would die or hang than that a Sun workstation would
> crash; since we have to implement monitoring for that and procedures to
> remove the static route manually in such cases, it wouldn't be worth the
> extra complexity of running a routing protocol on the server just to handle
> one specific case.  Some day we might change this; for instance, if the
> named monitoring could automatically reconfigure gated to stop advertising
> the route, it would be reasonable to run gated.

What I had in mind was to run gated, and have a code on the same box
that endlessly sits in a loop sending queries at regular intervals. If
named does not respond in a specified time interval (open to suggestions
on the time interval), then just assume it is sick and send a SIGTERM
to the pid in /var/run/gated.pid. With BGP the route removal should
be immediate, I'll have to test what OSPF does when a gated neighbor
dies.

I haven't scoured through the bind distribution much but there has to
be some code there I can cannibalize to send queries.

-

Barrett