problems combining dynamic DNS and granitecanyon

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Aug 30 19:17:56 UTC 1999

In article <7qc394$clf$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <joelmiles at my-deja.com> wrote:
>I have registered my domain (miles.ods.org) with
>www.ods.org (a free dynamic
>DNS register) and I was able to get it to
>correctly update my IP whenever I
>came online.  However, I want more control over
>my domain, so I added an NS
>record to my ods domain saying:
>
>miles.ods.org IN NS ns1.granitecanyon.com
>
>I set up the domain on granitecanyons system and
>the nslookup correctly
>identified the domain on their NS, but now
>whenever I update my dynamic IP
>at ods.org, the change does not happen to my
>domain.  It is stuck with the
>IP of when I first gave it an NS granitecanyon
>record.  So the root of my
>question is: is possible to have both a
>dynamically updated IP and also a
>static nameserver on the same domain?  (my domain
>at ods.org would look like
>this:)

Not really.  You can generally only have one primary nameserver for a
domain.

What you should do is something like this:

Create a domain like miles.org on the granitecanyon.com servers, and
register it with InterNIC (or some other registry).  In that domain you can
create entries like:

www.miles.org.  CNAME  miles.ods.org.
miles.org.      MX 10  miles.ods.org.

This is the domain where you have lots of flexibility.  Everything
references miles.ods.org indirectly, and its dynamic DNS feature makes sure
that this always points to your current address.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com