one resolve request + three interfaces => three answers

Jan Vicherek honza at ied.com
Mon Aug 30 00:41:05 UTC 1999

  Hi, how does one solve the following situation. A machine (being both
primary and secondary DNS for domain abc.net, as well as the only machine
in the domain abc.net) has X (let's say two) interfaces connected to the
Net, and is the masquerading FW for the local net eth0.

Net 1 : isdn0 IP 1.2.3.4
Net 2 : adsl0 IP 2.3.4.5
LAN   : eth0  IP 192.168.1.1
Local : lo0   IP 127.0.0.1

  When both adsl and isdn links are up & running, I want to control
through dynamic update which links should resolve to what. I.e.
www1.abc.net is adsl and www2.abc.net is isdn. But when one of the links
is down, both of www1 and www2 need to point to the link which is up.

  Also at the same time, if resolution request comes for ftp.abc.net
through isdn0, it should resolve to 1.2.3.4 AND at the same time if the
request comes from adsl0, the answer should be different: 2.3.4.5.

  Also at the same time, on eth0 I need to resolve both www1 and www2 as
192.168.1.1 (or .2 or .3, ...) and ftp.abc.net as 192.168.1.1.

 Now the question:

  What do I need to put into bind's config file(s) to produce different
answer for the same query depending on which interface does the request
come from ? Can I run just one bind, or do I have to run multiple ones,
with separate config files ?

    Thanx,

        Jan

 -- Gospel of Jesus is the saving power of God for all who believe --
                ## To some, nothing is impossible. ##
                   http://Vicherek.Waterloo.on.ca/