Master Zone rejected

Michael Corbett corbett at epp.ne.mediaone.net
Thu Aug 26 17:03:01 UTC 1999

On 26 Aug 1999 08:17:16 -0700, Mark Ngo <ao at manchiu.com> wrote:
>When I start my bind 8.2.1, a named message log said " named[11316]:
>master zone "xyz.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 10)".  Any
>idea what it means?

The zone was rejected do to errors, while the server will be
able to answer queries it will not consider itself an
authority for the zone and will not allow others to do zone
transfer of the zone.  Previous messages should have given
the specific line that caused the error.  Something like -

named:  owner name "bad_name.gary.com" IN (primary) is invalid - rejecting
named:  MULTINET:DOMAIN-NAME-SERVICE.GARY:18: owner name error
named:  MULTINET:DOMAIN-NAME-SERVICE.GARY:18: Database error (a)
named:  master zone "gary.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 2)

In the above example the error was that the owner name "bad_name.gary.com"
is invalid and it also says where it can be found, line 18 in the file
MULTINET:DOMAIN-NAME-SERVICE.GARY.

hope that helps
Mike

Michael Corbett                           Email: Corbett at process.com
Process Software Corporation              Phone: 800 722-7770 x369
959 Concord St.                                  508 879-6994 x369
Framingham MA 01701-4682                  FAX:   508 879-0042