forward zone

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Aug 26 14:30:04 UTC 1999

In article <001e01beefbe$f60af310$0cc8a8c0 at arcenciel.fr>,
JULIEN Antoine <julien at info.enserb.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:

>    I use a "forward zone" with bind8, for a particular domain. My DNS is
>authoritative for the domain xxx.yyy.com. I want to forward request for
>domain yyy.com to DNS 192.168.18.1. I have a subdomain called
>sub.xxx.yyy.com (NS record in named.xxx). When I want the name of a host on
>sub.xxx.yyy.com domain, my DNS make a connection with the forwarder
>(192.168.18.1), but not with the DNS for the subdomain. How is it possible
>??

The per-zone "forward" option is pervasive to all subzones of that zone.
This was done to solve the frequent problem of needing to disable
forwarding for all the subdomains of the local domain, while forwarding
everything else to a bastion host.

I believe the solution (untested) is to configure the subdomain as a
forward zone with an empty forwarder:

zone "sub.xxx.yyy.com" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { };
};

It will then follow normal delegation for that subdomain.

If you need this to happen for all subdomains of xxx.yyy.com, I don't think
there's a way to do it without listing them all in your named.conf.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com