Quick Question

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Aug 25 15:09:58 UTC 1999

In article <NDBBJPBMILEMBPAHGPMGMECLCBAA.gds at nvc.net>,
Gary Stewart <gds at nvc.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>I just have a quick (hopefully simple) question,
>I just upgraded to bind 8.2.1, and get an error "too many open files", can
>anyone clue me in as to what this is? Does it affect the performance of the
>DNS?

You must be doing this on a machine with lots of virtual servers.  By
default, BIND tries to bind a separate socket for each IP address on the
system.

You can either increase your systems file descriptor limit, or use the
"listen-on" option to tell BIND only to bind to certain addresses.  The
latter is more often what you want, since it only needs to listen on the
addresses that your clients are pointing their resolvers to and the
addresses that NS records point to.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com