Naming the Nameservers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Aug 25 14:50:23 UTC 1999

In article <20929.935575325 at kludge.mpn.cp.philips.com>,
Jim Reid  <jim at mpn.cp.philips.com> wrote:
>The idea of using location codes is good, but these are better as
>components of the FQDN: host.LOC.foobar.com. [BTW there's an ISO
>standard for location codes. It covers most major towns and cities in
>the world. See http://www.unece.org/trade/lcode/locodes.htm.]

It doesn't have the town I live in, Arlington, MA, USA, nor the town my
mother lives in, Dix Hills, NY, USA.

Since we were bought by a phone company, we've started using the telcos'
Common Language Location Identifier (CLLI) codes in our naming.  These are
of the form CCCCSSNNEEE, where CCCC is a city abbreviation, SS is a state
abbreviation (they also have codes for countries outside the US, which I
think are mostly the ISO country codes, but I guess they have to resolve
some collisions), NN is a network site within the city, and EEE is an
entity code to specify a particular device.

Since telcos use these to identify all their central office equipment, they
should have codes for almost anywhere that "civilized" humans live.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com