help with WWW

RJHM van den Bergh rvdb at nedernet.nl
Tue Aug 24 20:34:25 UTC 1999

I should know the content of the zone file
to answer this question.

Did you put a CNAME for the www ?
Never let a cname point to a cname
I think its also possible to let it refer to an A record also
try to look it up with nslookup
nslookup
>www.myname.com

Also try to do a reverse lookup

If it answers correctly then nothing is wrong with the dns
Then you probably will have to configure the web server for it to
respond to that name.
I think it has to do with the virtual domain names.
See the http1.1 documentation for that.

For example a good http1.1 call looks like
GET /cgi-bin/chat.pl HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: virtualHostName\r\n
This way the http server nows the call is for that virtual host.

I encountered this problem when I was writting an applet that should call a
cgi script.
On the internet it didn't work for several sites.
These all where virtual host.
The applet needed to tell the http server for which host it was ment.
This way it is possible to server more hostnames with http on one IP number.

I hope I'm correct.

Rob,
rvdb at nedernet.nl
http://www.nedernet.nl/~rvdb