NS records in parent

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Aug 24 16:31:54 UTC 1999

David Mitchell <davem at fdgroup.co.uk> wrote in message
news:<199908241540.QAA21951 at tiree.fdgroup.co.uk>...
> If the server for a parent zone is also slave for a child zone,
> is it still necessary for the parent server to explicity list the
> name servers of the child zone in the zone file of the parent?

It's actually not necessary, assuming that the server that's slave for the
child zone is the primary master for the parent zone.  The NS records from
the child zone will be automatically "promoted" into delegation information
in the parent zone.

Still, it's good practice to duplicate the NS RRs in the parent zone,
especially if there's any chance of reconfiguring the name server so that
it's no longer a slave for the child zone, or of moving the primary master
for the parent zone to another name server.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.