Redundant servers ???

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Aug 20 20:24:41 UTC 1999

In article <199908202006.QAA07011 at www.fsproduce.com>,
Bennett Samowich  <brs at fsproduce.com> wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I read somewhere, I can't remember where, about creating two primary DNS
>server and using rsync to keep them identical.
>
>Is this more reliable than having one server pass the information
>{master|slave} to the other.  I believe the idea was to create redundant
>servers to increase reliability, but I'm not sure of the specifics.

I don't see why this would be more reliable.  It's just a different way to
keep the servers in sync.

It means you'll have to do extra work to get it going.  DNS already
provides automatic synchronization via zone transfers, periodic refreshes
and the NOTIFY protocol, and you'll need to replicate that functionality in
your rsync mechanism.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com