Need to provide MX for 2 domains, but no public computers on

Ben Kosse BKosse at thecreek.com
Fri Aug 20 18:25:09 UTC 1999

> > // thecreek.com domain
> > zone "thecreek.com" in {
> >         type master;
> > };
>
> Missing a file name.
>
> > // Web server domains -- aliased
> > zone "coldwaterinc.com" in {
> >         file "pz/coldwaterinc.com";
> > };
>
> Missing a type, presumably master or slave.

Sorry, my mistake in copying. The file and type are both there.
thecreek.com's file is pz/thecreek.com and for coldwaterinc.com it is a
master.

> > // Reverse 10.1.0
> > zone "0.1.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
> >         type master;
> >         file "rz/10.1.0";
> > };
> >
> > // Reverse 10.2.0
> > zone "0.2.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
> >         type master;
> >         file "rz/10.2.0";
> > };
> >
> > // Reverse 10.3.0
> > zone "0.3.10.in-addr.arpa" in {
> >         type master;
> >         file "rz/10.3.0";
> > };
> >

> > Yes, I know I need to remove the reverse mappings and I'll
> do that, but I
> > can't fathom how it could be affecting the pkb.thecreek.com lookups
> > (pkb.thecreek.com is the 10.3 subnet)
>
> Didn't you say that your problem was a "server error"?  'Nslookup'
> returns one such an error if it cannot do a valid lookup on the server
> IP address named in /etc/resolv.conf.  This is one of many
> possibilities, since you did not say WHAT the "server error"
> was.  [Did
> you look in your syslog output?]
Hrm, no, but the error is literally that:
Default Server:  spt-02-wins.thecreek.com
Address:  10.1.0.102

> server 127.0.0.1
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> set q=mx
> thecreek.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
thecreek.com    preference = 20, mail exchanger = ns.thecreek.com
thecreek.com    preference = 10, mail exchanger = ns2.thecreek.com

ns.thecreek.com internet address = 206.25.23.1
ns2.thecreek.com        internet address = 206.153.245.13
> pkb.thecreek.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find pkb.thecreek.com: Server failed

OK, stupid idiot me. I had # instead of $ in front of several includes, but
now I'm getting

*** localhost can't find pkb.thecreek.com: Non-existent host/domain

So, what's wrong with this line?

$INCLUDE inc/mx.inc pkb

If I put the data from mx.inc directly into the file, everything is hunky
dory.

Here's mx.inc:

IN	MX	10 ns2.thecreek.com.
IN	MX	20 ns.thecreek.com.

> > Here's the /var/named/pz/pkb.thecreek.com file:
> >      @       IN      SOA     ns2.thecreek.com.
> bkosse.thecreek.com. (
> >                              1       ; Serial
> >                              7200    ; Refresh every 2 hours
> >                              300     ; Retry every 5 minutes
> >                              2592000 ; Expire after 30 days
> >                              6000)   ; TTL expires in 1 hour
> >
> >      ; Name Server Records
> >      #INCLUDE inc/ns-external.inc
> >
> >      ; MX mail exchanger settings
> >      ; MX for pkb.thecreek.com
> >      #INCLUDE inc/mx.inc pkb

> > /var/named/inc/mx.inc:
> >              IN      MX      10 ns2.thecreek.com.
> >              IN      MX      20 ns.thecreek.com.
>
> More importantly, what's in inc/ns-external.inc that could be blocking
> the MX records?

inc/ns-external.inc
        IN      NS      ns2.thecreek.com.
        IN      NS      ns.thecreek.com.