NS record for the @ entry

Edmund c990077 at hk.china.com
Fri Aug 20 06:50:57 UTC 1999

Might be my concept is not clear.  The SOA, to my understanding,
is used in the zone transfer between the primary DNS server and its
secondary DNS servers, and the secondary DNS doesn't have a
pre-configured SOA entry because it will get it from primary DNS.
But I don't understand why the @ entry has to have at least one
NS record associated with it since its' parent zone name server
already has a NS record pointing to it.  You mentioned that it's
required because it's the definition of zone.  But I still don't understand
why such definition is required and what it is used for.