domain.com.domain.com being looked up for local names?

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Fri Aug 20 06:18:53 UTC 1999

ma> >
> > So, I went to my Solaris System to check this out.
>
>         Good.  If you had tried a valid domain name to would not
>         have added the entry from the seach list there by proving
>         my point.
>
>         Mark

My original request was "me.wanted". Nslookup appended cisco.com to the
first query, then when that wasn't found, it attempted the query as just
"me.wanted"

Ok. What do you mean a valid domain name?
wanted is a valid domain name. While "wanted" might not be a real domain
name, it is still a valid one. nslookup would have done exactly the same
search if I used a real domain, except it would have return a response
ins answer to the second question asked.

Since the local domain name is added on the first query, how in the
world is nslookup going to determine if "wanted" is not a real domain
name??
There is nothing illegal about a domain name of "wanted". what you are
saying is some how a search would have been done to see if what was in
my query contained a "valid" domain name?

Michael