How to set up DNS to only add aliases?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 19 19:55:07 UTC 1999

> Yeah, I realize that... I'm just trying to avoid having to go through
> the ISP every time I want a new alias. I don't want to take over DNS
> responsibilities for the whole site, but I do want immediate, local
> control over my aliases.
>
> It's just a Convenience issue... if it's not an easy thing to set up
> I'll just ask the ISP.

Perfectly easy.  If you are domain puddle.net.au, then ask them to have
subdomains drip.puddle.net.au, drop.puddle.net.au, frog.puddle.net.au,
whose name server is ... YOU.  Then you can have hosts
h2o.drip.puddle.net.au, splash.drop.puddle.net.au,
tadpole.frog.puddle.net.au, or whatever you want ... all out of your
own DNS.  You can even invent further subdomains; although that might
start getting a little ... out of hand ... you don't want people who
want to come to your site to be forced to remember and type in, e.g.,
www.dot.wart.skin.tail.tadpole.frog.puddle.net.au.  ;-)

If you don't want to have subdomains, either you must control your
whole domain, or your ISP must.  There is not and never has been such a
thing as having part of a domain's information at one place, and
another part at another place.  An authoritative name server is just
that - THE, the ONE, the FULLY KNOWLEDGEABLE, the SOURCE, THE name
server for that domain, no other sources needed.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B